Does anyone remember that George Costanza told Elaine’s friend that she (Elaine) is going to be living in Biosphere 3? Does anyone know what Biosphere 1 really is?
Biosphere 2 is located about an hour north of Tucson, near the wide spot in the road called Oracle. It was built back in 1986 by Space Biospheres Ventures to develop self-sustaining space colonization technology. The thought back then was to create this “environment” when we landed on MARS, and attempted to colonize it.
Biosphere 2 contains:
- 3.14 acre Biosphere facility
- 7,200,000 cubic feet of sealed glass, 6,500 windows
- 91 feet at highest point
- sealed from the earth below by a 500-ton welded stainless steel liner
- 40-acre campus
- 300,000 sq. ft. of administrative offices, classrooms, labs, conference center, housing
Five ecosystems are recreated:
- Ocean with coral reef
- Mangrove wetlands
- Tropical rainforest
- Savannah grassland
- Fog desert
Biosphere 2’s mission under the stewardship of the U of A:
- Catalyze interdisciplinary thinking and understanding about Earth and its future;
- Be an adaptive tool for Earth education and outreach to industry, government, and the public;
- Distill issues related to Earth systems planning and management for use by policymakers, students and the public.
The Biosphere facility is located on 3.14 acres, which happens to be pi (rounded)
It is 91 feet tall at its highest point
It has 6500 windows and 7.2 million cubic feet of sealed glass
Total of 34.5 acre campus
300,000 square feet of administrative offices, classrooms, labs, conference center
To this day, Biosphere 2 remains a controversial experiment. Many people proclaim various results and data, from pure folly to pure science. Like most everything else in life, the results probably lie somewhere in the middle.