From Coach John Hughes, noted Anti-Aging Expert:
Chronological aging is inevitable. However, you have control over how well you will age.
Coach Hughes wrote this eBook for all roadies age 50 and older. It will teach you how you, too, can fight the physical effects of chronological aging:
1. Assess honestly your strengths and weaknesses using the American College of Sports Medicine’s recommendations and the Athletic Maturity quiz.
2. Exercise consistently year-round. Use it or lose it applies even more to mature roadies. The older you get, the faster you lose a type of fitness if you don’t exercise that type.
3. Train wisely to avoid setbacks and injury.
4. Plan how to combine the riding you love with addressing the areas in which you need to improve and then set goals and track progress.
5. Ride aerobically year-round to maintain and improve cardiorespiratory fitness.
6. Include intensity workouts that are appropriate to your goals.
7. Strength train regularly to complement your riding and to maintain your capacity to do activities of daily living.
8. Stretch regularly to increase your riding comfort and to maintain your capacity to do activities of daily living.
9. Practice balance drills to reduce the risk of falling, the number one reason mature people go to the emergency room.
10. Engage in weight-bearing activities as part of your aerobic and strength training.
11. Balance exercise with the rest of your life so you get sufficient recovery and avoid overtraining.
12. Have fun!https://www.roadbikerider.com/register/anti-aging-12-ways-you-can-slow-the-aging-process/
Here are some of my secrets or hints:
- Balance-do not go extreme in anything, whether food, diet, exercise, or ??
- Fluids-drink plenty of water. If you use sports drinks, as I do on hot days, please dilute with ice and/or water.
- Avoid high impact (as you get older) sports, like running, basketball, tennis.
- Stay out of the heat (or the extreme cold).
- Forget about quantity, emphasize quality of your workout!
- Wear sunglasses when exercising outside.
- Always buy the proper shoes for each sport!
- Wear a hat or cap when exercising outside in the sun. And sunscreen.
- Sweat bands always come in handy.
- Carry an energy bar just in case!!!
Above all, have fun, meet new people, reward yourself during and after!!!